November 24, 2016
030: What Is A “Real” Dance?
In this episode, my special guest, Laura Riva talk about what makes a dance a legitimate style versus a new dance, dance traditions, culture and more!
- Online Kizomba lessons at Learntokiz.com!
- The Super Bowl of Urban Kiz Festivals in North America, The Neo Kizomba Festival!
- Tarada – DJ Nice Life
- If it’s (newer styles) music that resonates you, and it’s a pattern of movement that stimulates my creativity and expression – but this does not mean you don’t educate yourself about the technique or history of the dance.
- One perspective is, illegitimacy only exists where an individual does not understand the fundamental pillars of technique and still chooses to claim ownership of the dance.
- Dancers need to understand that every dance is multi-faceted. Our dances cannot exist in a vacuum; outside forces, regional culture, and individual inspiration will shape the face of all variations of every dance.
- [VIDEO] Example of Brazilian Zouk
- [VIDEO] Example of Carribbean Zouk